When to see a Podiatrist/Chiropodist

If you have any of the problems below it is advisable to seek the advice of the Podiatrist/Chiropodist:

  • Corns and Callus (hard skin)
    Hard skin for on your feet can be very painful and needs professional care to gently remove the hard skin and give advice and treatment to prevent recurrence or manage the problem conservatively. Book a general chiropody appointment at The Chorley Clinic for a real foot transformation. Toenails trimmed, filed and corns and callus removed and hard skin attended to. Finished with moisturising foot cream massage.


  • Discomfort with Toenails
    If you have problems reaching your own toenails, or have trouble trimming them properly to ensure that you don't get ingrown nails or other nail problems, our podiatrist will be happy to trim them for you.


  • Discoloured or Yellow Toenails
    Discoloured or yellow toenails are usually caused by a type of fungus of the nail; this can be very easily treated with topical ointments or in the more severe cases by oral medications from your GP.

    Thickened toenails can be painlessly filed and cut down and infected nail reduced by the podiatrist. Our treatment of choice is Nailstat and whilst the nail is being treated it can be painted with nail varnish or a weekly treatment with Loceryl both available on prescription from your GP.


  • Ingrown Toenails
    Ingrown toenails are caused when the nail, either by curvature or skin growth, actually grows into the skin, creating a very painful border to the toenail. It can occur on any toenail of the foot, and can get infected very fast so its very important to see a doctor if you feel like the ingrown toenail is getting worse. The podiatrist can numb up your toe to remove it. There are many different solutions that are less invasive, but it is extremely important to see a foot specialist if you suspect you have an ingrown toenail.


  • Heel Pain
    Any kind of pain in the heel needs to be seen by a podiatrist. With heel pain it is important to take note of what kind of pain is occurring and when.

    Classically heel pain is called plantar fasciitis and treatment includes assessment, diagnosis, footwear advice, insoles if appropriate and exercise advice, Heel pain of less than 6 months duration is readily treated in 85% of cases with our heel pain programme.


  • Numbness or Swelling
    If you have pain and swelling (oedema) in one foot and not the other you should see a podiatrist. There are many problems that need to be investigated which could be causing the pain and swelling for example a broken bone, infection, tendonitis or tendon rupture. Swelling in both feet and ankles could be due to lymphedema. Whatever the cause it is always a good idea to come in to see the podiatrist to diagnose and treat a problem before it gets worse. At The Chorley Clinic we liase with your family doctor and other specialists for optimum care. 


  • Soreness in Toes
    Soreness in the toes can be due to any number of injuries or conditions that our podiatrist would need to evaluate at The Chorley Clinic. Pads, arch supports, and insoles can be fitted to your shoes to alleviate your foot pain.


  • Pain in the Pad of the Foot
    With any type of pain in the foot, a podiatrist should be seen to evaluate what is causing the pain, and to review treatment options. Night splints, shoe pads, arch supports, and padded insoles can all alleviate types of pad pain, but it is necessary to have the podiatrist evaluate and fit you for them.


  • A Wound or Sore That Does Not Heal
    You need to come and see the podiatrist if you have an open sore on your foot or ankle. This is particularly important if you have diabetes as it usually takes you longer to heal. A podiatrist can swab the sore to find out the type of bacteria, and liase with your GP to supply and administer some antibiotics. Seeing a podiatrist quickly and starting treatment greatly improves your chances of healing. If you have had an open sore for a long time, your chance of getting a skin (or even a bone infection (osteomyelitis)) increases.


  • A Pain While Walking
    This could be due to either a number of tendon problems in the foot perhaps conditions in your muscular or skeletal structure or your biomechanics. A podiatrist can help alleviate the pain with shoe advice, foot padding, and other treatments and therapies.


  • Bunions 
    Bunions are a structural deformity of the bones in the foot and the joint that is between the foot and big toe. They can become swollen and irritated at the base of the big toe. They can be painful and may require surgical correction. Bunions should always be assessed as they are inherited and early advice can be very helpful

Contact us

For all enquires please telephone: 01257 232000


The Chorley Clinic

1 Mayfield Road







Map >>


Social Networks

Follow our up to date news also on our Facebook page:

The Chorley Clinic 

Print Print | Sitemap
© The Chorley Clinic